Sunday, September 23, 2012

RITE OF PASSAGE--In Retrospect

That fateful day, I became a senior citizen.

No, I didn’t turn 62—or even 55. That came later. The change, while unofficial, was much more fundamentally significant than mere age.

I bought a luxury car.

Yes, it’s true. No longer would you see that gumball red sports car zipping around town, careening around corners, leaping away from stop signs at the head of the pack as I plotted the next chapter of my novel.

At the height of my mid-life crisis, after I’d cast aside the practical economy cars of my youth, I was often heard telling people I’d drive a sports car until I couldn’t find room in it for my wheel chair. But I failed to consider that irresistible and inevitable force brought to bear on those of us of a certain age and familial persuasion. I became a grandmother.

At first it wasn’t so bad. An infant seat could be wedged into the anatomically shaped, albeit nearly nonexistent, back seat of the turbo-charged, five-on-the-floor bomb, and an infant needs almost no legroom.

True, when I wanted to take my husband and daughter along on my outings with the grandbaby, one of them had to more-or-less curl up into a ball to fit into the other back seat. But it was only for short distances. They could handle it.

But babies grow. And this one grew and grew, until, at age six, she could barely walk under my outstretched arm. My back seat still had enough room for her lanky legs as long as I didn’t have to move the driver’s seat to get in and out. But I could see my fate staring me in the face from a year or two in the future. I couldn’t let my granddaughter be uncomfortable, no matter how short the trip.

Then fell the final blow. She became a big sister.

Talk about fate staring me in the face. The little guy was built like a fullback from day one. And now we had to use two cars for a family outing. The logistics were beginning to get unwieldy. I had to give up and admit I needed the dreaded “nana-mobile.”

I set out on a search to find something of adequate size that wasn’t too much of an affront to my self image, firmly believing no such thing existed. I must have looked at every van, mini-van, SUV, and sedan in town before I heaved a heavy sign, patted the hood of my sports car, and bid it a fond farewell. I had selected a sleek, black two-door with room in the back seat for three adults abreast. My grandchildren would be comfortable even after they outgrew me (by the time they were 10 years old).

What sold me on that particular car? Well, it wasn’t really the prestigious maker and model. It wasn’t really the roominess or living room comfort. It wasn’t even really the somewhat ominous look of it.

I think it might have been a comment the salesman, unaware that I’m a writer of horror/mystery novels, made while showing me how spacious the car was.

“Wow,” he said. “I wonder how many bodies you could stuff into that trunk.”

note: The granddaughter in the essay now drives her own car. The grandson is looking forward to driver's training later this year. Theoretically, Hubby and I could be back into a sports car in less than three years, provided the crack about the wheelchair remains only a joke. That'll be another rite of passage--into second childhood. : - ) We'll see...


18 comments:

  1. I so want to scare a salesman by asking that question - gives me ideas :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOLOL oh i so can relate to this; i recently shed my Miata...for what? THE FJ!! there is so totally something awesome about getting out of a car and immediately be standing!!!!!!! hehe little did we know and trips to the grocery store...WOW no more setting off the seatbelt alarm because of the grocery's in the front seat! hehe..so totally enjoyed this! and NO wheel chair for you woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband joked that I could get out of the sports car and be standing. Although I'm not quite that short, it wasn't as much of a stretch for me as for some. : - )

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. My critique group and I looked it over and decided three easily, and perhaps as many as five if you squashed them down with the trunk lid. ; - )

      Delete
  4. My first car was a luxury car (although a very very used one), a 1974 Cadillac Brougham. IT WAS HUGE!!! 8 people could fit comfortably (really). I know how much you must adore this purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did love that car, and still think it was one of the most beautiful cars I've owned. But I'm now driving a cross-over that is even roomier, though not as sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was great. So true. I have a car seat for what seems like forever. These grandbabies just keep on coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine have all grown up, so might go back to sports car. : - )

      Delete
  7. I am driving the mini-van like a good grandparent making interstate trips to gather children for a visit. However, I am looking now for something a bit less Grandma-ish. I am thinking a small SUV...like the Liberty or Jeep Grand Cherokee...not sure. I know the Jeep isn't small, but I do love it. Soon, not today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby drives a Jeep Commander--even bigger than my present crossover. The Cherokee is kind of a nice size.

      Delete
  8. I currently am in the family oriented SUV or the extended version pick up truck where kids can still fit on the almost non existent back seat. This was a really cool post. I drove a sports car when I was younger but found as soon as I had kids there was simply enough room for me, my husband, the kids and their gear.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep. You have to have the sports car before your kids, between kids and grandkids, and after grandkids unless you're rich enough to own multiple cars. : - )

      Delete
  9. My mom drove a Camaro SS and was known to drag race with local kids (and a few local cops). I've never had her badass spirit. We bought a Chevy Equinox this summer and I adore the thing. It's red. That counts for something, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom is my kind of lady. : - ) Yes, red counts for something.

      Delete