Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Next Big Thing


Katriena Knights, http://katrienaknights.blogspot.com/ , http://katrienaknights.kabeka.com/ , https://twitter.com/crazywritinfool , aka KC Myers, tagged me for The Next Big Thing, a series of blogs by authors from many different genres and parts of the country. Each author answers the same ten questions. Below, read my answers:

1) What is the working title of your next book? (or it can be your latest release)

Since I’m such a slow writer, I’m going to do both. My latest release is “When the Moon Is Gibbous and Waxing.” The working title of the book I’m writing now is “Dark Moon.”

2) Where did the idea for the book come from?

The first book grew from a nightmare I had. I woke myself (and my husband) growling. The first scene in the book is that nightmare. The second book follows the same characters five years later, when Michael resigns from his job and winds up crossways with a group of vampires.

3) What genre does your book fall under?
Both books are urban fantasy, not quite young adult nor the erotic urban fantasy often written for adults. I think of it as a cross over between YA and adult, or maybe PG13 in movie terms.

4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
I would definitely leave this up to the casting director, because all my favorite actors are in their 60s now. : - ) I don’t know enough actors today to have a clue, but if Dennis Quade were 20 years younger, he’d make a good Michael. Natalie has kind of an Audrey Hepburn look, but with long hair and amber eyes.

5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
First book: A young scientist learns she’s a creature of myth and nightmares being hunted by another creature like her, and fears the man she loves can never accept what she is—if he survives the full moon.
Second book: Natalie learns werewolves aren’t the only mythological being that is real, and while these new evil creatures are no danger to her, they could be the death of the man she loves.

6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I’ll probably seek out a small independent publisher for “Dark Moon” just as I did for “Gibbous Moon.”

7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?

I’ve jokingly said “Gibbous Moon” took 20 years. Actually I wrote off and on for several years while I was working 10-hour days and earning my bachelor’s degree. Then I threw the manuscript into a drawer and didn’t touch it for years. I took it out and finished it later during 30-minute lunch breaks over about a year before throwing it back into the drawer for several more years. A couple of years ago, I pulled it out again and added one more chapter before hacking out 40,000 words and starting to submit it. I hope the second book doesn’t take quite so long—or is quite so wordy.

8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

One thing I’ve noticed about urban fantasy is that much of it seems to fall into one of two sub-categories: YA or erotica. My books are probably closer to the former than the latter, but not really YA either, so it’s hard to make a comparison. What I’m really aiming for is something like Jim Butcher’s Dresden series, though heaven knows it’s presumptuous of me even to admit that.

9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?

Natalie and Michael did. I know that sounds strange, but I think many writers will understand. They just kept after me until I wrote their story. In fact, Michael wasn’t even supposed to be more than a walk-on, and he refused to leave because he had fallen in love with Natalie. My daughter, the aforementioned author Katriena Knights, getting her first book published before I did was pretty inspiring too. : - )

10) What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?

When Natalie begins to understand that she murdered two men during that first blackout, she misinterprets Michael’s interest in her as suspicion likely to lead to her arrest. Can he gain her trust? Can she save him from the Rogue Werewolf, who’s leaving a trail of shredded corpses across the U.S. as he travels east to find her? 

No comments:

Post a Comment